Johnson C. Smith Sneaks By WSSU In Women's Tennis Action 5-4
March 15, 2006
WINSTON-SALEM, NC - The match would come down to the final set in the final flight of the match as the Johnson C. Smith University Lady Golden Bulls' women's tennis team snuck out a 5-4 victory over the Lady Rams of Winston-Salem State University at the WSSU Tennis Complex on Tuesday afternoon.
With the match knotted at 4-4, the deciding point for the Golden Bulls would come via Amber Shoecraft's three-set (4-6, 6-4, 6-4) victory over WSSU's Carmen Davis at third singles as JCSU earned the one-point match victory.
Johnson C. Smith won four of the six singles points in the match as the Lady Rams earned points at the fourth and sixth singles flights with the sixth singles flight point coming via forfeit.
The Lady Golden Bulls surrendered two doubles points to WSSU, one via forfeit, but were able to pull out the narrow win, their third of the season.
The win propels JCSU to 3-9 overall and 2-1 in the CIAA (1-1 CIAA West), while the Lady Rams fall to 2-4 overall and 2-3 in the CIAA (1-1 CIAA West).
The Lady Rams return to action on Thursday, March 16, 2005 as they play host to the Lady Broncos of Fayetteville State University at the WSSU Tennis Complex. Match time is slated for 2:00 pm.
For additional information on WSSU women's tennis, contact the WSSU Office of Sports Information at (336) 750-2143 or log on to the Official Website of WSSU Athletics at www.WSSURAMS.com
Tennis Box Score:
Johnson C. Smith vs Winston-Salem State
Mar 15, 2006 at Winston-Salem, NC
Johnson C. Smith 5, Winston-Salem State 4
1. LEE,Jennifer (JCSU) def. WALKER,Amanda (WSSU-W) 6-0, 6-0
2. LAWS,Brittany (JCSU) def. BALL,Monica (WSSU-W) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. SHOECRAFT,Amber (JCSU) def. DAVIS,Carmen (WSSU-W) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. HOPPER,Ashley (WSSU-W) def. LEWIS,April (JCSU) 7-6, 6-1
5. MUHAMMAD,Gabrielle (JCSU) def. ALEXANDER,Jessica Ad (WSSU-W) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. HORTON,L (WSSU-W) def. FORFEIT (JCSU), by forfeit
1. LEWIS,April/LEE,Jennifer (JCSU) def. WALKER,Amanda/DAVIS,Carmen (WSSU-W) 8-5
2. HOPPER,Ashley/BALL,Monica (WSSU-W) def. SHOECRAFT,Amber/LAWS,Brittany (JCSU) 8-4
3. ALEXANDER,Jessica Ad/HORTON,L (WSSU-W) def. FORFEIT/FORFEIT (JCSU), by forfeit
- wssurams.com -