Bucknell Women's Tennis Cruises Past Lady Rams 7-0
March 15, 2008
HILTON HEAD, SC - The Winston-Salem State University Lady Rams tennis team finished their spring break competition week in Hilton Head, S.C. with a 7-0 loss to the Bucknell University Bison on Friday evening. The Lady Rams are now 1-15 overall on the season with the loss while Bucknell improves to 4-5 on the season with the win.
In singles, Bucknell sophomore Tania Varela played at the No. 1 position, improving her record to 2-2 with a win over WSSU's Shannon Loughnan, 6-0, 6-1. At No. 2, junior Paulina Gamboa went 6-0, 6-0 over Johanna Nunez to bring her record to 2-5 (2-3 No. 2). At No. 3, freshman Lauren Lucido improved to 5-4 (2-2 at No. 3) with a win over Laken Joyce, 6-0, 6-0.
At the No. 4 position, Bucknell sophomore Carlin Calcaterra played WSSU's Terese Lavan, defeating her 6-3, 6-1 to bring Calcaterra's record to 4-5 (2-2 No. 4). Dara Dwojewski topped Gabrielle Benjamin, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 5 to move to 3-5 on the season (2-2 at No. 5). Rounding out singles play, Bucknell's Lauren Rottkamp picked up a 6-0, 6-0 win over Jade Heggins, making her record now 5-2 (4-1 at No. 6) as the Bison swept all six singles points from the Lady Rams.
In doubles play, Varela and Lucido moved to 3-2 at the No. 1 position with a 8-1 win over Lonough and Joyce. At No. 2, Calcaterra and Gamboa defeated Nunez and Lavan, 8-0, to move to 3-5 and at the No. 3 position, senior Caitlin Baffa and Dwojewski were victorious over Benjamin and Heggins, 8-1, to post a record of 2-5 so far this season.
The Bison swept all seven points from the Lady Rams as WSSU dropped their 14th 7-0 decision of the season.
The loss drops the Lady Rams to 1-15 on the year while the Bison improve to 4-5 on the season with the win.
The WSSU women return to action on Tuesday, March 18 at 2:00 p.m. as they travel to
For additional information on WSSU women's tennis, contact the WSSU Office of Athletic Media Relations at (336) 750-2133 or log on to the Official Website of WSSU Athletics at WSSURams.com.
Tennis Match Results
Mar 14, 2008 at Hilton Head, SC
1. Tania Varela (BUCKNELL) def. Shannon Loughnan (WSSUW) 6-0, 6-1
2. Paulina Gamboa (BUCKNELL) def. Johanna Nunez (WSSUW) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren Lucido (BUCKNELL) def. Laken Joyce (WSSUW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Carlin Calcaterra (BUCKNELL) def. Terese Lavan (WSSUW) 6-3, 6-1
5. Dara Dwojewski (BUCKNELL) def. Gabrielle Benjamin (WSSUW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lauren Rottkamp (BUCKNELL) def. Jade Heggins (WSSUW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lauren Lucido/Tania Varela (BUCKNELL) def.
2. Carlin Calcaterra/Paulina Gamboa (BUCKNELL) def. Johanna Nunez/Terese Lavan (WSSUW) 8-0
3. Caitlin Baffa/Dara Dwojewski (BUCKNELL) def. Gabrielle Benjamin/Jade Heggins (WSSUW) 8-1