Lady Rams Tennis Swept By UNC-Greensboro 7-0; WSSU Falls To 1-21 Overall
April 8, 2008
GREENSBORO, N.C. - UNC-Greensboro recorded seven shutout sets, including Perry Loeser's 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles, as the UNC-Greensboro Spartans swept Winston-Salem State, 7-0, in women's tennis action Tuesday afternoon at the UNCG Tennis Complex in Greensboro, N.C.
Loeser, playing in place of Erica Zabkar, who got a day off, blanked Jessica Smith by identical 6-0 scores. The Spartans also gave No. 1 singles player Alejandra Guerra a day off, and the rest of the line-up moved up a slot and responded, led by Arielle VonStrolley's win at the top of the line-up. She topped Laken Joyce, 6-0 and 6-1, followed by Courtney Akel's win at No. 2 over Johana Nunez, 6-1 and 6-0.
The Spartans, currently in a stretch of five matches in eight days showed no ill effects of fatigue as the Lady Rams proved to be no match for the powerful Spartans as WSSU mustered only 10 game victories in the six singles matches.
Doubles action would see the Spartans sweep the Lady Rams in all three doubles flights as UNCG earned the match's doubles point.
WSSU falls to 1-21 overall with the loss as the Lady Rams are mired in an eleven-game losing streak.
The Lady Rams return to action on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 2:00 p.m. as they play host to neighboring
For additional information on WSSU women's tennis, contact the WSSU Office of Athletic Media Relations at (336) 750-2143 or log on to the Official Website of WSSU Athletics at WSSURams.com.
Tennis Match Results
Apr 08, 2008 at
1. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) def. Laken Joyce (WSSUW) 6-0, 6-1
2. Courtney Akel (UNCG) def. Johanna Nunez (WSSUW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Jess Eblen (UNCG) def. Gabrielle Benjamin (WSSUW) 6-0, 6-1
4. Sarah Templeton (UNCG) def. Terese Lavan (WSSUW) 6-3, 6-1
5. Perry Loeser (UNCG) def. Jessica Smith (WSSUW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Taylor Mattux (UNCG) def. Jade Heggins (WSSUW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Britney Cloer/Jess Eblen (UNCG) def. Gabrielle Benjamin/Johanna Nunez (WSSUW) 8-1
2. Courtney Akel/Valerie Behr (UNCG) def. Laken Joyce/Terese Lavan (WSSUW) 8-0
3. Perry Loeser/Sarah Templeton (UNCG) def. Jessica Smith/Jade Heggins (WSSUW) 8-0